Want To Play Regularly?

If you're an avid player who lives in KL and are looking to play regularly, email thepokerempire@gmail.com for more info!

RSS Subscription

Subscribe via RSS reader:
Subscribe via Email Address:
 

Red Tape, Outs and Odds

Posted By Eugene T On 7:39 AM Under , ,
Even in online poker, there's a ton of red tape.

Now I found out why my account got restricted. The last time I tried to make a real money deposit, I found that there's a $2k limit on all deposits for 30 days. So being the smartass that I am, I tried to get around it by creating another account. Brilliant right? Except not, cuz my attempt was detected almost immediately and all accounts, including my bro and sis's accounts were subsequently locked.

Talk about hassle, the number of documents and emails I've had to send over to their security department for account verification. Doesn't help that the part of the world I'm from is well known for fraud.

So, while waiting for my account to be reinstated, I attempted to play in a freeroll tournament for frequent players. This is a hand that I played just 5 mins ago. Blinds were 10/20, effective stacks were about 1.5k. My stack was about 1.9k due to an earlier win. I picked up AdTd on the button, UTG folded, UTG+1 raised 3xBB. Two players to his left calls, then the rest folds all the way to me. I call, both blinds fold. So 4 players to the flop, which comes Qs7cJd, giving me a K gutshot draw with a backdoor flush. UTG+1 raised the same amount preflop, player to his left calls, next player folds, I call, as the pot odds were about 6.5 to 1 not including implied odds for a gutshot.

The next card was 9d, one of the best cards in the deck for me, seeing as how I now have the nut flush draw, plus an open ended straight draw, a total of 12 outs to a made hand on the board like K10, 15 for T8 (unlikely) and two pairs. The Ace does not count as an out as either opponent could have a possible A, with a kicker like K or J.

Original raiser checks, player on his left raises 220, I call, OR re raises to 700. Player to his left folds, I call. Pot before I called was 1590, and it only costs me another 480 to call, roughly 3 to 1 odds. The check raise suggested a made hand like KT, of which I still had outs to beat. The opponent had 680 in his stack, giving me the right odds to call. River came 4d, opponent shoves all in, I call, he shows K10.

All in all, a simple example of making the right calls with position in conjunction with sufficient outs and odds. Let's hope they unfreeze my account soon.


2 comments -
Playbook
July 27, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I think UTG+1 made a mistake. His flop may not be dangerous, but his turn should have either have been a big shove all-in (or a big check-raise all-in) to worsen the odds. Cos he could lose to a higher straight (someone's KA if a T hits the board) or the flush potential.

Playbook
pokermalaysia.wordpress.com

Eugene T
July 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I think a turn all-in shove would not be a good play as only hands which can beat you would call. At that point, no hand can beat you, its true, but hands like an oddly played QQ (10 outs), Qd10d (15 outs) etc, would definitely call. This means that you would generally win the pot then and there with minimal wins. Since you would generally have at least 70% to win after the river, the correct bet should be about two thirds of the pot.

Check-raising would be a much better play as this keeps the pot small if the opponent checks, allowing you to value bet on the river, or forces a fold if the opponent bets.

Post a Comment